Wednesday, March 12, 2008

The Voting Experience

I woke up last Saturday, March 8, 2008, the same as any other Saturday. I drove to Zaharah's house to pick her up for our weekly walking and bitching in Forest Research Institute Malaysia (FRIM) in Kepong. On the way I was entertained by all the election's flags and posters on both sides of the roads.

When we reached FRIM, we found out that the school in FRIM was used as a voting centre. Zaharah was really pissed because we paid entry fees without knowing that it should be free as the place was used as voting centre.

We proceeded with our walking and bitching. After that we went to our usual brunch place, Anuja Restaurant in Aman Puri. Tosai masala is my favourite brunch food with glasses of orange juice. On the way back to Zaharah's place we decided to drive around Sungai Buloh to check out the voting festivities. When we went back to Zaharah's place, I quickly fell asleep on the floor of her living room. So tired.

When I woke up it was 3pm and it was time for me to vote before the voting close at 5pm. I showered, said my goodbye to Zaharah and drove to my voting centre in a Polytechnic in Shah Alam.

The road leading to the centre was lined with flags.

Obviously, in this area, the fight was between Barisan National and Keadilan.

The political parties set up their tents in front gate of the centre. This is where all the voting beggars assembled. No beggars or political posters were allowed inside the voting centre.
I drove into the centre and park near the voting building.

Then I went to check my registration and was given a voting room number. Mine was number 3.

I went to room 3 which was guarded by 2 policemen. Inside the room there were 5 persons responsible for the voting processes. I passed my identity card to a lady and she checked my name on a list. Then she announced my voting number and name to the other 4 people. The 4 people were also checking their list and cross my name on the list. Then I was given 2 piece of voting papers. One for parliment and one for DUN (Dewan Undangan Negeri).

I then went to one of the boxed table and drawn my crosses for my favourite candidates over the voting papers. I then dropped the papers into the transparent voting box. That was it. I have done my responsibility as the citizen of Malaysia for the second time in my life.

I passed by a couple of over excited voting beggars on my way back. They must be having a party later that night when they find out that their political party won the election in that area.




No comments: