Monday, February 18, 2008

The Naming of the Dead

I am reading a book call The Naming of the Dead by Ian Rankin. In one part of the book mentioned a group of demonstrator standing around at night with lighted candles, reciting the name of people that already die to remember them. This made me thinking about the people that I know, families or friends, that passed on. I was surprised that I cannot remember some of their names now. That is when I decided to follow the same. Naming the people that I know here in this blog to remember them, to keep their memories alive and to remind us that we are not immortal.

Ayah - Samsudin Bin Hasan (My Father)
Oyang (Maternal Great Grandmother)
Atuk - Abdullah Sani Bin Kahar (Maternal Grandfather)
Nenek - Anson Binti Hakim (Maternal Grandmother)
Pak Ngah (Uncle - My maternal's aunty's husband)
Wak Ali - Mohd Ali Bin Hasan (Paternal Uncle)
Wak Zarah (Aunty - Wak Ali's wife)
Wak Isa - Mohd Isa Bin Hasan (Paternal Uncle)
Wak Selamat (Neighbour & Founder of Kampung Selamat)
Bapak Endon - Pakcik Samsudin (Neighbour)
Umi Hani (ex-classmate)
??? (ex-colleague & ex-classmate) - I could not remember his name but I can still picture his face. He was my colleague in Harris Semiconductor and after that was my classmate in UTM. He passed on in the 1990's because of a motorcycle accident on the way back to his home town - Johor. Someone stole his motorcycle speedo meter the night before. Anyone remember his name, please let me know.
Nor Akmal (Maternal Cousin)
Andrea (Classmate) - I could not remember her surname. She was my English class mate in University of Aberdeen. She died in 1994/5 when she fell down the Ben Nevis in the fog.
Pakcik Hassan (Neighbour)
Abang Nan - Mohd Adnan Bin Mohd Ali (Paternal Cousin)
Pipi - Mohd Afifi Bin Mohd Adnan (Abang Nan's son)
Wak Rahman (Paternal second uncle)
Jeremy Yap (Colleague)
Wak Ulung (Mother's husband)
Cik Bayah (Neighbour)
Pak Long (Quran teacher)

May their soul rest in peace.

No comments: