Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Introducing : Kampung Jerung Atas


Kampung Jerung (literally translated - Shark Village) is a small village located between Sungai Petani and Kuala Ketil, Kedah in the north west of Malaysia. The village is separated by two side - Atas (Upper) and Bawah (Lower). The upper village is so small that they don't even have a sign board except the one above provided by a political party. The village was opened by Indonesian settler of Mandaling background. This is my late father's village. This is where my Bunde (auntie - the last of my father's sibling) stay. This is where my cousin and I was last weekend. Balik Kampung (back to village).

I was told the actual name of the village is Kampung Jurung Atas. Jurung is name of small river fish in Mandaling language. Somehow the name (and language) lost in translation by the younger generation and the village is now known as the Shark Village. Maybe bigger fish name will make the village prosper.

The small road into the village is currently framed by palm oil trees. It used to be rubber trees with untarred road when I came to visit years ago.

There are still a few houses here that maintain the traditional wood house built on the stilts, but most of them now opt for the brick house like my Bunde little castle below.


The problem with this kind of houses is when its flooding the water will flow inside the house. Fortunately my Bunde house is on the hill. The source of the flooding is from the small river that runs through the village.


Most of the younger generation either migrated to the city or work in the factory in Penang. Some still work with the palm oil or rubber plantation in or near the village.


The older generation still work the land or rear cows like the welcoming committee below.

This is my kampung. Small, yet surviving.

No comments: